You've seen this before.
The symptoms of Blaming, Complaining, & Defensiveness (BCD) are quite clear and we've all be around someone who is actively BCDing and we're all guilty of doing it ourselves. Here are some common signs & symptoms that your team, business, or self may be struggling with BCD.
- Not taking responsibility for the outcomes of one's actions
- Taking ill of someone else and/or past, present, and/or future circumstances
- Being resistant to any critique regardless of delivery
- Deflecting feedback onto someone else
- Changing the subject in a conversation away from themself
- Playing the victim or acting like everyone is out to get them
- Flippant responses
- Attempting to control circumstances out of their control
- Failing to offer solutions and only finding problems
- Consistent venting, airing grievances, or verbal frustration on the same or similar topics.
- Resistant to change
The less obvious
- Low self-confidence, big ego.
- Stagnant growth, lack of forward motion
- Continued effort in a direction yielding diminishing returns
- Inability to adapt to changing circumstances
- Misaligned culture
- Too many meetings without a solution
- Lack of leadership direction
While not an exhaustive list, it's easy to see the direction this signs & symptoms of BCD lead. If you experience any of these on your team, business, or personally you already know that there is need for a change. Download the 10 Ways To Manage BCD to get started on that path today.